This can be due to many reasons. The current economy has led to many layoffs which might mean that your duties might be covering what 3 or 4 people used to be asked to do. You might be working more in order to increase your income so that you can pay off bills faster, save faster, and so on. Life at home may be hectic as well.
Even if you do work a lot, you can still find happiness in your job and make it less hectic. Everyone is different with what they can handle and manage in their life, so keep that in mind also.
Some people can work 80 hours a week and act like it’s nothing, whereas some people find it rough to work 40 hours a week.
If you are not managing your work-life balance well, it can lead to many consequences.
- You might be very tired. This can then lead to poorer performance at work and school.
- You might not be as happy. Spending time with family and friends has many positives. You don’t want to miss out on things that are happening with the ones that you love, just because you had something at work to do.
- Extra stress. Do you constantly feel worried that you do not have time to complete something on your list?
Here are tips to a successful work-life balance:
Create a schedule. Creating a schedule is very important. Decide what should be on your list and stick to it. This could be your what you do at work, or personal items such as having a dinner with your family every night, and so on.
- Prioritize what needs to be done. If I can tackle something quickly, then I will usually do that first so that it doesn’t lead to unnecessary stress. Also, don’t procrastinate. Working on something at the last second is ALWAYS stressful. When was the last time when you did NOT feel good about finishing a task early?
- Combine any trips that you can. Do you need that lettuce today, or can you wait until tomorrow when you can do all of your shopping in one trip?
Set firm and realistic goals. Your schedule should be realistic and flexible. Things will most likely come up and this might destroy your whole schedule. Should it ruin your day? NO! Work around it and make your list work.
Ask for help if you need it. This can be at home or at work. One person cannot handle everything at home and/or work. If you truly need help and you don’t think you can do it yourself, ASK!
Learn how to say no. A person cannot say yes to everything. Do you really need to take your neighbor’ sister’s kid to violin practice?
Take the vacation days that you’re entitled to. Take your vacation days instead of letting them rollover to the next year or letting them expire. A vacation (even if you just stay home and make it a stay-cation) can be extremely relaxing and worthwhile.
What are your tips for a better work-life balance?